Saturday, January 31, 2009

lemon meringue pies

I love lemon desserts. They're so fresh and tart and yummy. Two weeks ago, my mom and I were on a kick for lemon meringue pie. We had frozen store-bought crusts in the freezer, so the hard part was taken care of. All I needed to do was to make the lemon curd-like filling and the merengue. We got the recipe from America's Test Kitchen (it's free to sign up...the only drawback is the multitudinous emails you receive...I still highly recommend membership! All of the recipes that they have aired on television are free!) and it turned out great. It took me all day to make, however. Okay, maybe "all day" is an overstatement. A full 2 1/2-3 hours, though. But boy, was it worth it! Here's some proof:

















I made a double batch in order to have two pies. =D
I meant to take more pictures after we sliced the pie, but that didn't end up happening. Oh well. It was yummy! You'll just have to take my word for it, or drop by and let me know ahead of time. I'd love to make one and share it with you!


1 comment:

Wordgirl said...

Oh, those look so good! If I could drive, maybe I would drop by to have one with you! Maybe someday, when both of us are married and our husbands are off at work, I'll put my baby in his (hehe ;) ) carseat and drive down to your house and we can have lemon meringue pie together and talk about my latest novel and your growing fame in the culinary world. Wordgirl just used far too many 'ands' in one sentence. Maybe she'd better go and catch up on some sleep!