Friday, January 22, 2010

Extraordinary disappointment...

Well, I'm sick.

Yesterday, I was supposed to go to one of my best friend's house for a double sleepover and the long anticipated (by us) premiere of the movie Extraordinary Measures. But, I woke up feeling cranky and tired and terrible. And I knew that would be a rotten way to spend a double sleepover. Plus, I would hate to give my friend or any of her many little brothers and sisters my sickness.

So, I cried as my mom called her mom to say that I wouldn't be able to come. I was nearly heartbroken. I just couldn't understand why God would have me get sick at the exact time that I wanted nothing more than to hang out with my dear, dear friend. Why, after we had both been praying that nothing would go wrong, did He see fit for me to come down violently with a virus?

All I could do was think about the verses in the Bible that talk about God's love and Providence. I believe that God is Sovereign over everything. Everything? Even sickness? Even death? Even movie premieres and double sleepovers and teenage girls? Yes. EVERYTHING.

The following verse gave me comfort:

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

The truth is, I still don't know why it was good and better for me to have gotten sick than to have gone to my friend's house. But I do know that it WAS what was GOOD and BEST. Because I am a child of God, and He works all things together for the good--the further sanctification--of His children. Even if it's hard or difficult. What an incredible thing! What an incredible promise! Who is like our God? NO ONE! He is the best, most loving Father that will do what is best for His children, no matter what.

So anyway. Please join me in loving Him more and more every day!

Here is one way that He has blessed me during this awful virus:

Has anyone heard of Watch It Now on Netflix? Well, it's something where you are able to watch select movies and T.V. shows on your computer right from their website. Anyway, as I was looking for something to watch, I stumbled upon a FANTASTIC version of Jane Eyre. It was a 1983 version starring Zelah Clarke and Timothy Dalton as Jane and Mr. Rochester, respectively. They were phenomenal! I was enchanted for nearly 5 hours!

Also, I am in the midst of reading Sense and Sensibility, as I've stated before, so I've decided to put up a poll. Who is your favorite male lead in this novel? I plan to do more polls like this in the future, and I thought this would be a fun one to start out. Please vote for your favorite and then leave a comment with who you voted for and why!

Okay, I should get to bed...just one more thing. I wanted to let y'all know that I actually and genuinely enjoyed myself at Driver's Ed! My teacher is very fun and nice (he actually remembered my older sister and said that I look just like her!). There are a couple kids that I know that are in the class, one being a girl that I knew a while back but had fallen out of touch with. She's super nice and I went up to her and asked to sit by her. So now, I'm not stressed in the least. Praise the Lord!

p.s. I apologize for any grammatically incorrect sentences or misspellings--I'm exhausted and sick at the moment ;)

4 comments:

Allie said...

How are you feeling today? I'm not sure "violently ill" and babysitting are a good mix ;-)

Hope you feel better soon! I'm going to start that Jane Eyre series while
Ben's at work! (not because I'm sneaking, but because he wouldn't want to watch it with me, lol)

Erin Dunham said...

So glad that drivers ed. went well!

Erin Dunham said...

By the way, Allie, that profile picture is ADORABLE!

Maddie said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry you're sick and I TOTALLY know how you feel about missing a long anticipated sleepover. One time a few friends and I had been planning for about two weeks this awesome sleepover and the day before, I found out I had to do this fundraising thing for my orchestra instead! I also was heartbroken! But kudos to you for remembering that God has a purpose in everything!!

AGH!! I have GOT to see this Jane Eyre movie!!! I'm reading it out loud to my little sister and we are almost done so we'll watch it together as soon we finish reading it!

I voted on your poll that I like Edward Ferrars best. I suppose my reasons are just what you said: "He's so sweet, kind, and gentle! (I greatly esteem him...)" He may not be prince charming, but he sweet and has a very kind heart!! :D -Maddie